Thursday, March 12, 2009

Seth's Specialist Appointment and Diagnosis

We finally had our appointment with the Pediatric Specialist this past Wednesday. The doctor was VERY nice! He said the school psychologist, who prepared the report (if i get time I will go into more detail about it another time), did most of the hard work for him.

After going through the report had no disagreements against the diagnosis of Aspergers. So finally there we are, for sure. Bittersweet but moves us forward…slowly.

He put in for his own referrals to ErinOak and told us we can call the Kerry’s place and they may have some services for us or at least workshops. They did some blood work as well to check his iron and metabolic things like that. He also had them do a chromosome test to make sure there are no anomalies there. We go and see him again April 1st to check in on him. I really liked him and feel better now we are at least starting to get on some lists. I did ask him about the food aversions and he put in a referral to a few places for OT but they don’t really provide much so he isn’t sure if we’ll get much from them.

I have to also add Seth is such a brave little boy!!! He did so so well with the blood work! He continues to amaze me, every day. I sat down beside him and held his one hand (which I think I squeezed harder than he did me) and told him after we were done he would get a chocolate bar. I was so scared for him! When they poked him he jumped a little but was quite fascinated by what they were doing.

They had to use the butterfly on him where they poke the needle and use a tube to suction out the blood (looked more comfortable to me than the normal way). He watched them and near the end he started to whimper a little and was asking politely if they were done yet. Finally they finished and he was so relieved (as was I) that they were done. He proceeded to tell the two ladies to “keep his blood nice and safe” and they told him they would protect it with the highest security. LOL! He said “thank you”. Then he said “you guys did a really great job!” I tear up just thinking about it!

It was so sweet, cute and brave! They really seemed to appreciate it (probably don’t hear it much from us grumbly adults). He then left with a smile while I was holding down the band-aid on his arm and continued to natter on about how neat it was to see his blood!

Thanks for checking in on us!

2 comments:

  1. hi sounds like you have great doctors and specialist. may I ask what type of specialist you saw.. my son is adhd and were trying to figure out if he has asbergers or bipolar.. your lil man seems really brave..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thanks Joy! He really did surprise me I am learning so much more about him now :)

    I am really not sure why "type" of specialist he is. Not sure if you are in Canada or the States but we normally here in Canada see a family doctor unless we need a specialty. This specialist was a Pediatician that specializes in autism and neurological disorders like it. But not sure what his "official" title was :P It really was our school psychologist that did all the work with the diagnosis.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave us a message :)

Photobucket